So a few folks want my refrigerator pie recipe. Well, recipes are great but I usually don't measure much of anything unless I'm baking but I'll give you my best shot. Actually this is probably a good thing to ask for...I sort of do measure when I make this.
an unbaked pie crust (I use Marie Calendar's b/c they're not sweet)
mix together 2 eggs and 1 cup of milk (I use half skim and half 1/2 and 1/2 to make whole milk b/c I always have them in the fridge) and put in 1 tsp of salt (or a big pinch of kosher salt) and several grinds of fresh black pepper (Yes! freshly ground black pepper not that stuff in the red can that's been in your kitchen for 3 years!) and a little bit of freshly ground nutmeg (Yes! freshly ground on this too!)
now the fun part...look in the fridge and freezer to see what you have that would be good together... leftover chicken and cheddar, cooked sausage and apples and swiss, broccoli and cheddar, I could go on but my fav is swiss, spinach (you can buy frozen spinach that isn't packed into a brick, it's frozen loose in an bag so you can get just what you need without defrosting a whole package) and bacon and that is what I made the other night. Now layer these ingredients from the fridge/freezer (don't need to defrost broccoli, spinach, etc. but do cook your meats first) almost to the top of the crust and pour in the egg mixture. Bake about 45 min in a 350 preheated oven until the middle doesn't jiggle. You'll see. Fix some salad, pour some vino or cerveza and be prepared for great compliments cause this is good stuff. Don't tell anyone it's easy! (As I said, quiche is too fancy of a word!)
2 comments:
Yay! Thanks for posting it. Next time I go to the grocery store, I'm picking up a pie crust!
Susage, apples and swiss...now what name does that go by in the Thompson house? Sounds like supper tonight for us...PA will like that. I'll be adding a few mushrooms...BLACKBERRY PIE - children will eat things by "other names".
Post a Comment