Sunday, August 3, 2014

Holden Beach for 7 Whole Days!

For the past 7 days the Martin Family has been blessed with our third annual trip to Holden Beach.  Lots of people ask me "Where is Holden Beach?"  I tell them "I don't know."  Why?  Because it's a perfect beach, not many people and we want to keep it that way!  But it's a fun place to relax and just be.  

On Wednesday afternoon I was sitting on the edge of the water reading while Leah and Paul were playing in the water.  I finished reading a book called Dust by Hugh Howey.  (It's the 3rd book in the 'Silo Saga' and it's an excellent series to read.)  I closed the book after I finished it and thought WOW it only took me ... wait a minute I don't know what day it is.  How many days did it take me to read this book?  How is that possible??  Not knowing what day of the week it is?  Not knowing how many days it took to read the book?  Weird.  But then I got to thinking that THIS is what vacation is all about!!!  Island time.  No schedule.  No calendar.  No one telling you where to go ... what to do ... etc.  (No time clock to punch!!!)

Sometimes people ask why we go to the beach with just us in our little 3 person family.  I think they're concerned we'll get tired or bored of each other.  Well, our little family of 3 'suffers' the schedule of parents working alternative shifts and schedules.  We are rarely ever all together awake alert and having fun.  This is the one week of the year where we get to have fun and just be with each other.  Leah got to have both of her parents at her side as we went to eat, get ice cream or just play in the water.  I got to watch boring TV with Paul every night which I usually do by myself.  Paul got to have supper with his girls for 7 nights in a row.  Yes, it does sound kinda boring.  But when your usual is not being together, a vacation together, is the best time of the year.

No comments: